Physical Research Laboratory (PRL), an autonomous unit of the Department of Space, Government of India, conducts basic research in the areas of Astronomy, Astrophysics, Solar Physics, Earth, Planetary & Space Atmospheric Sciences, Atomic, Molecular & Optical Physics and Theoretical Physics. The Laboratory has several world-class experimental and computing facilities spread over its four campuses at Navrangpura and Thaltej, Ahmedabad, Infrared Observatory at Mt. Abu, and Solar Observatory at Udaipur.
Applications are invited from academically outstanding and highly motivated post-graduate students and college teachers of the Indian Nationality for the Summer Internship Programme to be held at Physical Research Laboratory from May 14 to July 09, 2018. Under this programme, those interested in a research career after post-graduation may avail opportunity to spend about eight weeks during summer at PRL. The participants will work on a specific project in association with a faculty member of the institute and can participate in other scientific activities such as seminars, colloquia etc.
Eligibility criteria and other details about the Programme for Students
- B.Tech. / B.Sc./ B.S. / M.Sc. / M.Sc. (Integrated) / M.Sc. (Tech.)/M.Tech. students of Physics, Applied Physics, Astronomy & Astrophysics, Optics/Applied Optics, Laser Physics, Space Physics, Geology, Geophysics, Atmospheric Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Meteorology, Chemistry, Ocean Sciences and related subjects.
-Students in, M.Sc. - First Year, Integrated M.Sc. - 3rd and 4th Year,
B.Sc. 3rd year*/ B.Tech.*/ B.S.* 3rd /final year, are only eligible to apply.
*Preference will be given to candidates who are KVPY/DST INSPIRE fellows.
- The candidate must have taken Physics and Mathematics at the Under Graduate level.
- A minimum of 60% marks at both Bachelor’s and Master’s level are required for all candidates.
Please note that the students studying in any discipline of engineering are not eligible to apply in this programme.
Application must be forwarded through the Head of their respective institutions. Any application received without the recommendation will not be considered. The selected candidates will be informed through e-mail as well as by post on the address given by them in the application format. No interim queries in this connection will be entertained.
Duration: 8 weeks May 14 - July 09, 2018.
Fellowship & Facilities: ₹10,000/- pm on pro rata, return II- class sleeper train fare by the shortest route and hostel accommodation (subject to the availability) with canteen facilities on a nominal charge.
Eligibility criteria and other details about the Program for Teachers:
Teachers having academic background in Physics, Applied Physics, Astronomy & Astrophysics, Optics, Laser Physics, Space Physics, Geology, Geophysics, Atmospheric Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Meteorology, Chemistry, Ocean Sciences and related subjects and presently teaching at post graduate / graduate level with interest in pursuing research in any of the areas of research areas of PRL, are invited to apply for the summer internship programme.
The application must be forwarded through the Head/Principal of the institution. Any application received without the recommendation will not be considered. The selected candidates will be informed through e-mail as well as by post on the address given by them in the application. No interim queries in this connection will be entertained.
Duration: 8 weeks May 14 - July 09, 2018.
Fellowship & Facilities: ₹15,000/- pm on pro-rata basis, return II-AC train fare by the shortest route and accommodation (subject to the availability) with canteen facilities on a nominal charge.
Essential Qualifications: Five years teaching experience, demonstrated interest in research as evident by research publications / research projects.
Desirable Qualifications: Ph.D. degree.
All the selected candidates (students/teachers) will work on projects in association with a faculty member in any of the four campuses of PRL.
How To Apply :
- On-line application can be done from 02.02.2018 to 05.03.2018
- Applications received in the prescribed online format only will be considered.
- Upon registration, applicants will be provided with an online Registration Number, which should be carefully preserved for future reference. Unique e-mail ID of the applicant needs to be given in the application.
- The online application for students has to be followed-up with a recommendation letter (as per the prescribed format) from two faculty members familiar with student. Mark sheets / certificates are not needed.
- Printed copy of the online application, duly forwarded by Head of the Department mentioning the Reg. No. on top of the filled application form, and recommendation letter (in a sealed envelope) should be sent to the Head, Academic Services (headas AT prl.res.in), Physical Research Laboratory, Navrangpura, Ahmedabad -380009.
- Teacher applicants can apply using the link given as follows. Online application should follow the hard copy with forwarding by Head of the institution/college along with a copy of leave approval
- The accommodation to all the selected candidates will be provided on sharing basis (subject to the availability). We shall not be able consider any request for family accommodation.
- It will be difficult to consider any request to alter the dates of the summer programme.
All the applications must be forwarded through the Head/Principal of the institution/Department. Any application received without recommendations will not be considered.
The selected candidates will be informed through e-mail as well as by post on the address given by them in the application format. No interim queries in this connection will be entertained.
Opening Date for Online Registration (for student applicants): 02 February 2018
Closing Date for Online Registration: 05 March 2018 (23:59 Hrs.)
Closing Date for Receiving Filled Application and recommendation letter by post/courier (for students): 12 March 2018.
Closing Date for Receiving Application by post/courier (for teacher applicants): 12 March 2018.