Founded in 1947 by Dr. Vikram A. Sarabhai, the Physical Research Laboratory (PRL) had a modest beginning at his residence, the RETREAT, with research on Cosmic Rays.
The Laboratory was formally established on November 11, 1947, in the M. G. Science College, Ahmedabad, with support from the Karmkshetra Educational Foundation and the Ahmedabad Education Society. The initial focus was research on Cosmic Rays and the properties of the Upper Atmosphere. Research in Theoretical Physics and Radio Physics were added later with grants from the Atomic Energy Commission.
Formation of First Council of Management with following members : Dr. S. S. Bhatnagar, FRS Dr. K. S. Krishnan, FRS Dr. Y. G. Naik Dr. V. A. Sarabhai Dr. K. R. Ramanathan
First Ozone Measurement Station at Mt. Abu
Foundation of PRL Campus laid by Sir C.V. Raman
Inauguration of Main Campus by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru
PRL Main Campus
Registration as a Trust by a Quadripartite agreement between : (Department of Atomic Energy) Govt. of India Gujarat Of Government Karmakshetra Education Foundation Ahmedabad Education Society
Infra-red Telescope at Mt.Abu
Udaipur Solar Observatory becomes a part of PRL
Cosmic Rays Atomospheric Sciences
Theoretical Physics Radio Physics
Earth and Planetary Sciences Infra-Red Astronomy
Particle Physics Solar Physics
Laser Physics and Quantum Optics Non-linear Dynamics and Computational Physics Astroparticle Physics and Cosmology
Quantum Information Solar X-ray Astronomy (SOXS) Submillimeter Astronomy Planetary Exploration