Physical Research Laboratory (PRL) is a premier national research institution under the aegis of the Department of Space, Government of India. Founded in 1947 by Dr Vikram A. Sarabhai, PRL is known as the "cradle of space sciences" in India. The laboratory has four campuses, located in Ahmedabad, Mt. Abu and Udaipur. PRL offers Junior Research Fellowships (JRFs) leading to a PhD degree and the following are the broad areas of ongoing research activities in PRL:
Theoretical Physics, Astronomy, Astrophysics, Solar Physics, Space and Atmospheric Sciences, Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics, Geosciences and Planetary Sciences
For more details visit web pages of respective divisions of PRL.
Astronomy & Astrophysics
Space and Atmospheric Sciences
Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics
Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) programme starts usually in the month of July/August every year.
Eligibility criteria for applying to the JRF Programme
- M.Sc. and B.Sc. / Integrated M.Sc. in one of the following subjects:
- Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Physics, Chemistry, Geology, Geophysics, Ocean Sciences, Atmospheric Sciences, Space Science and Environmental Science with first class (60%) or equivalent grades at both Bachelor ’s and
- Students from all disciplines applying for JRF programme must have had Physics and Mathematics in their Bachelor’s degree.
- Master’s degree should be on or after August 2015. Those students expecting a Master's degree by August 2017 are also eligible to apply, subject to having secured first class (60 %) or equivalent grades up to the last
Discipline-Wise Eligibility Conditions for Admission to JRF Programme:
B.Tech/B.Sc. and M.Sc./M.Tech. in Physics, Applied Physics, Astronomy & Astrophysics, Optics, Laser Physics, Space Science and related subjects with 60% marks or a CPI/CGPA 6.0 out of 10.0
Geosciences and allied subjects:
B.Tech/B.Sc. and M.Sc./M.Tech. in Geology, Geophysics, Atmospheric Science, Environmental Science, Meteorology, Chemistry, Ocean Science and related subjects with 60% marks or a CPI/CGPA 6.0 out of 10.0
Nationality: Applicant should be an Indian citizen and have studied at recognised Universities/Institutes in India.
Age Limit: 25 years as on 31.12.2016 (born on or after 31.12.1991).
- Applicants should have qualified in any one of the following in subjects Physics/Physical Sciences/Geology/Geophysics/Chemistry/Chemical Sciences/Earth Sciences:
Please note if the applicant possesses more than one score in either GATE or NET then the best among them has to be provided in the application.
- CSIR-UGC National Eligibility Test, NET-JRF [December 2015/June 2016/December 2016]
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) conducted by MHRD [GATE 2015/GATE 2016/GATE 2017]
- Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST 2017).
Selection Procedure :
- All the candidates interested in applying to the PRL JRF programme must fill the online application form.
- Fulfilling minimum qualification and filling online application do not guarantee a call for an interview. The applications received in response to this advertisement shall be scrutinised by taking into account their CSIR-UGC-NET-JRF/GATE/JEST and Post Graduation scores and shortlist will be prepared. Candidates shortlisted as per PRL norms will be called for an interview.
- Those candidates whose Post Graduation final results are not declared but qualify through the interview will be provisionally offered JRF in PRL. However, their joining will be regularised subject to their scoring an aggregate of the first class (60% marks) in Post Graduation.
General Information for Online Application :
- Candidates are advised to apply well before the closing date and not wait till the last date to avoid the possibility of disconnection/local server issues/power failure etc.
- A valid e-mail ID and Mobile Number is mandatory for registration. E-mail ID should be kept active. Status of successful registration will be sent to the registered e-mail ID.
- Candidates are requested to fill in the online application form with utmost care as no modifications will be allowed after submitting the application form. Request for change/correction in the Application Form shall not be entertained under any circumstances after submitting the application form.
- PRL will not be responsible for any consequences arising due to furnishing incorrect/incomplete details or failure to provide the required details. Submitting the online application does not guarantee a call for the selection procedure.
Online Application Starts: 27.03.2017 (07:00 am onward)
Last date for online Application : 16 April, 2017 (till 23.59 hrs.)
Dates for Interviews at PRL, Ahmedabad: 1-3 May and 28-30 June 2017
All the students will be required to undergo two semesters of course work after joining PRL, and only after the successful completion of the course work, students will be allowed to join the various research groups.
# Research Preference
Please refer to the following links containing brief information about key research areas available in PRL and give your research preferences after careful reading of the same.
For more details visit PRL website www.prl.res.in.
Research Disciplines 1 and 2 are for Physics/Geophysics and related fields and Research Discipline 3 is for Geology, Chemistry, Geophysics, Geochemistry, and related fields.
Stipend and other financial Support:
- Selected JRFs will be paid a fellowship of ₹ 25,000/- per month which will be raised to ₹ 28,000/- per month after two years, subject to a satisfactory academic review.
- An academic allowance of ₹ 10,000/- per year will be given for five years.
- Expenses connected with the registration for a Ph.D. degree, such as, tuition fees and examination fees will be borne by PRL.
- Students are offered financial support up to ₹ 1.0/- lakh (Rupees One lakh only) for participating in an international academic meeting during the Ph.D. tenure, excluding the duration of the course work and subject to fulfilling extent PRL norms.