PRL JUNIOR RESEARCH FELLOWSHIPS (JRFs) – 2023 – Fresh call
Applications for Junior Research Fellowships (JRFs) at Physical Research Laboratory (PRL) are invited from highly motivated and dynamic candidates to pursue research in the cutting-edge science domains of Earth and Solar System Sciences. Selected JRFs will have the opportunity to work on the research topics related to:
- Surfaces, atmospheres, and ionospheres of planets;
- Theoretical modelling and observational studies of physical processes of Mars, Venus, Moon, and asteroids;
- Origin and evolution of the solar system objects through laboratory analysis of extraterrestrial material (meteorites and sample return);
- Studies of planetary geology through the data obtained from space missions, data acquired from India's missions Chandrayaan-1, -2, -3, Mars Orbiter Mission, dual-aeronomy satellite mission DISHA, and Aditya-L1;
- Ground-based facilities such as MAST, e-Callisto, and GONG to study Sun and to develop scientific instrumentation for future experiments for near-Earth space missions and missions to Moon, Venus, and Mars;
- Physics of the Sun-Earth interactions; solar flares & Coronal Mass Ejections, solar radio astronomy, coronal studies
- Solar-interplanetary-terrestrial coupling, space weather and its effect on society at large; and
- Solid earth geochemistry and earth surface processes, terrestrial and marine biogeochemistry, paleoclimate studies and aerosol chemistry by conducting laboratory measurements on samples collected from different regions, including remote locations on the Earth (such as the Himalayas, Antarctica, and different oceanic basins including cruise expeditions in the Arctic region).
Eligibility criteria for applying to the JRF Programme
- Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Science or Engineering with at least a first-class (60%) or equivalent grades at both Bachelor's and Master's levels.
- Candidates expecting their Master's degree by August 2023 are also eligible to apply, subject to having secured at least a first-class (60%) or equivalent grade(s) up to the last semester.
- Candidates from disciplines of any branch of Physics, Engineering Physics, Photonics, Space Physics, Astrophysics, Atmospheric Science, Environmental Science, Meteorology, Geology, Applied Geology, Oceanography, Chemistry, Geophysics, and Remote Sensing are eligible to apply.
- Candidates should be interested in pursuing a research career in the current research areas at PRL, as mentioned above.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have completed their Master's degree in the last two years. The intake will depend on the candidate's performance in the written test followed by an interview and the suitability of the candidate's research interest to the research programs of PRL.
- Applicants should have qualified in any one of the following examinations:
- CSIR-UGC-NET JRF/AP [June 2022] in Physical Sciences / Chemical Sciences / Earth, Atmospheric, Ocean, and Planetary Sciences.
- GATE [2021/2022/2023] in Physics / Geology and Geophysics / Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences / Chemistry
- JEST 2023 in Physics.
- UGC-NET JRF/AP [December 2021 and June 2022 (merged cycles)/December 2022] in Environmental Sciences (applicable for candidates applying in Geosciences & Planetary Sciences. Physics at the UG and PG levels is mandatory for candidates applying in Planetary Sciences & space exploration) with a valid score/All India Rank.
- Eligible candidates will be called for the written test to be held at PRL-Ahmedabad on 26 June 2023, and candidates who qualify in the written test will be interviewed during 26 – 28 June 2023.
- Prospective candidates are expected to have good proficiency in fundamental physics and mathematics.
- PRL encourages gender diversity.
- All candidates meeting the above minimum requirement are encouraged to apply.
Nationality :The candidate must be an Indian Citizen.
Age Limit :28 years as on July 01, 2023
Important Dates :
Last date for online Application: 10 June 2023 (till 23:59 hrs. IST)
Written test and Interview dates at PRL, Ahmedabad: 26-28 June 2023.
Important Information (please read this before filling in the application online):
- All candidates who are shortlisted for interviews during 11-12 May and 22-23 June 2023 are not eligible to apply.
- Candidates who are NOT shortlisted for interviews during 11-12 May and 22-23 June 2023 are eligible to apply.
- Candidates interested in applying to the PRL's JRF program must complete the submission of the online application form.
- A valid e-mail ID and Mobile Number are mandatory for registration. E-mail ID should be kept active until the end of the admission process. The status of successful registration will be sent to the registered e-mail ID.
- Candidates are requested to complete the online Application Form with the utmost care, as no modification(s) will be allowed after its submission. Request for any change(s)/correction(s) in the Application Form shall not be entertained under any circumstances after submitting the application form.
- PRL will not be responsible for any consequences arising from incorrect/incomplete Information furnished and/or failure to provide the required information on time. Successful submission of the application form online does not guarantee a call for an interview.
- The candidate's interview will be based on the academic qualification(s) and basic knowledge in physics, mathematics, & chemistry and not on research interest opted to pursue research in PRL.
- Candidates are advised to apply well before the closing date and not wait until the last date to avoid possible hindrances, such as internet connection issues, local server(s), and power failures.
Course WorkAll the JRFs have to undergo two semesters of coursework after joining PRL. Only on the successful completion of the coursework will the JRFs be allowed to join a research group to start their work towards a Ph.D. degree.
Fellowship:For Junior Research Fellows (JRF): Rs. 31,000/- pm and for Senior Research Fellows (SRF): Rs. 35,000/- pm (as governed by Dept. of Space guidelines). On the completion of two years, the JRFs will be reviewed, and based on the recommendations of the review committee and the approval of the Director, PRL, the JRF may be awarded the position of SRF with an enhanced fellowship as per rules. The performance of the Research Fellows shall be reviewed on a yearly basis for the continuation of the fellowship.
Allotment of Supervisor:The final decision on the research topic and supervisor will be made based on the following:
- JRF's performance in the course work and,
- Requirement of ongoing research projects at PRL in the topics mentioned above.