Research Fellowship Programme
Applications for Junior Research Fellowships (JRFs) at Physical Research Laboratory (PRL) are invited from highly motivated and dynamic candidates to pursue research in the science domains of Solar Physics, Space and Atmospheric Sciences, and Planetary Sciences. JRFs at PRL will be encouraged to register for a Ph.D. degree at an Institute/University with which PRL has an MoU. PRL's research fellows will adhere to the norms of the registering Institute/University as agreed upon in the MoU.
The candidates selected as JRFs will be joining PRL in July 2022 (subject to COVID-19 local conditions).
Following are the details of the research topics and tentative intake requirements in each research domain. Please visit the web pages of each of the disciplines for more information on research topics before filling in the online application.
Key Research Areas:
- Physics of solar oscillations
- structure and evolution of sunspotsConnection between solar interior dynamics and solar activity
- Magnetohydrodynamic processes in the solar atmosphere, coronal heating, solar eruptions
- space weather predictions
The solar astrophysics group is also involved in the design and development of sophisticated instruments for solar observations and participation in upcoming national projects, like the Aditya-L1 space mission and National Large Solar Telescope (NLST).
Key Research Areas:
- Physics of the sun-earth interactions
- space weather and its effect on societal applications
- atmospheric circulation
- aerosols and their impact on Earth's radiation budget
- studies of trace gases, volatile organic compounds and their effects on the atmosphere
- cloud dynamics
- global warming/climate change
Opportunities also exist for participation in upcoming Indian space missions like Aditya-L1, dual-aeronomy satellite mission DISHA, and missions to Venus and Mars.
Key Research Areas:
- Studies of surfaces, atmospheres, ionospheres of planets
- theoretical modeling and observational studies of physical processes of Mars, Venus, Moon, asteroids
- origin and evolution of the solar system objects through laboratory analysis of extraterrestrial material (meteorites and sample returned missions)
- analysis of data from Indian missions Chandrayaan-1, -2, -3, Mars Orbiter Mission and Aditya-L1
- Development of scientific instruments for future planetary missions to Moon, Venus, and Mars
- Studies of planetary geology through the data obtained from space missions
Eligibility criteria for applying to the JRF Programme
- Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Science or Engineering with at least a first-class (60%) or equivalent grades at both Bachelor's and Master's levels.
- Candidates expecting their Master's degree by August 2022 are also eligible to apply, subject to having secured at least a first-class (60%) or equivalent grade(s) up to the last semester.
- Candidates from disciplines of any branch of Physics, Engineering Physics, Space Physics, Atmospheric Sciences, Geology, Geophysics, Remote Sensing are eligible to apply.
- Candidates should be interested in pursuing a research career in the current areas of research at PRL, as mentioned above.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have completed their Master's degree in the last two years. The intake will depend on the candidate's performance in the interview and the suitability of the candidate's research interest to the research program of PRL.
- Applicants should have qualified for any one of the following examinations:
- CSIR-UGC National Eligibility Test (NET) JRF/AP [June 2020/June 2021] in Physical Sciences / Chemical Sciences / Earth, Atmospheric, Ocean, and Planetary Sciences.
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) [GATE 2020/GATE 2021/GATE 2022] in Physics / Geology and Geophysics / Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences / Chemistry.
- Joint Entrance Screening Test [JEST 2021/JEST 2022] in Physics.
- UGC National Eligibility Test (NET) JRF/AP [December 2020/June 2021] in Environmental Sciences. (Applicable for candidates applying in Space & Atmospheric Sciences, Planetary Sciences & space exploration. Physics at Undergraduate and Postgraduate level is mandatory)
- Applicants whose All India ranks are in the range of 1-500 in any of the CSIR-UGC-NET/UGC-NET/GATE/JEST tests are likely, but not assured, to be called for an interview at PRL subject to their fulfilling other eligibility criteria mentioned above and online application through PRL's website.
- It is expected that prospective candidates have good proficiency in fundamental physics and mathematics.
- About 10-12 JRF positions are available.
- PRL encourages gender diversity.
- All candidates meeting the above minimum requirement are encouraged to apply.
Nationality :The candidate must be an Indian Citizen.
Age Limit :28 years as on 01st July, 2022
Important Dates :
Last date for online Application: 20 April 2022 (till 23:59 IST)
Dates for Interviews at PRL, Ahmedabad: 27-28-29 April 2022.
Important Information (please read this before filling in the application online):
- Candidates interested in applying to the PRL's JRF program must complete the submission of the online application form.
- A valid e-mail ID and Mobile Number are mandatory for registration. E-mail ID should be kept active until the end of the admission process. The status of successful registration will be sent to the registered e-mail ID.
- Candidates are requested to fill in the online Application Form with the utmost care, as no modification(s) will be allowed after its submission. Request for any change(s)/correction(s) in the Application Form shall not be entertained under any circumstances after the submission of the application form.
- PRL will not be responsible for any consequences arising out of incorrect/incomplete information furnished and/or failing to provide the required information on time. Successful submission of the application form online does not guarantee a call for an interview.
- The candidate's interview will be based on the academic qualification(s) and basic knowledge in physics, mathematics, & chemistry and not on the topic of research interest opted to pursue a Ph.D. degree in PRL.
- Candidates are advised to apply well before the closing date and not wait until the last date to avoid possible hindrances, such as issues with internet connections, problems with a local server(s), and power failures.
Course WorkAll the JRFs have to undergo two semesters of coursework after joining PRL. Only on the successful completion of the course work will the JRFs be allowed to join a research group to start their work towards a Ph.D. degree.
Fellowship:For Junior Research Fellows (JRF): Rs. 31,000/- pm and for Senior Research Fellows (SRF): Rs. 35,000/- pm (as governed by Dept. of Space guidelines).
On the completion of two years, the JRFs will be reviewed, and based on the recommendations of the review committee and the approval of the Director, PRL, the JRF may be awarded the position of SRF with an enhanced fellowship as per rules. Performance of the Research Fellows shall be reviewed on yearly basis for the continuation of fellowship.
Allotment of Supervisor:The final decision on the research topic and supervisor will be made based on:
- JRF's performance in the course work, and,
- Requirement of ongoing research projects at PRL.
Q1. I have qualified for JEST 2021. Am I eligible to apply?
Q2. My Master's degree is in Physics. Can I choose Space & Atmospheric Sciences/Planetary Sciences as my discipline of research preference?
Ans: YES. Actually, the knowledge in Physics will prove to be extremely useful as it is applied in several topics of space research.
Q3. I have qualified UGC-NET in Environmental Science but have not studied Physics at UG and PG levels, can I apply for Space & Atmospheric Sciences/Planetary Sciences/Solar AstroPhysics?
Q4. I have done M.Tech. in Remote Sensing/Engineering Physics/Applied Physics/Space Sciences, am I eligible to apply?
Q5. I have qualified JEST 2022/2021 but completed B.Tech, am I eligible to apply?
Q6. I am awarded the DST INSPIRE fellowship for PhD/CSIR JRF, am I eligible to apply through this advertisement?
Ans: NO. There will be a separate application procedure for externally funded candidates advertised through PRL’s website.
Q7. I have qualified in JEST 2022/2021. Do I need to apply separately to be considered for the JRF 2022 program at PRL?
Ans: YES, you need to apply.